Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Violet in the garden

Not so much this one...

But the wild violets that bloom in my backyard around this time of year...

And their very unwild relatives, the pansies...

These girls are still sitting in their six-packs waiting to get planted this weekend. They look like little ballerinas waiting for their cue before getting on stage. 

And then there is "Freckles," a cultivated violet I grew from seed years ago. For a while there, this violet was taking over the yard but this year, this is the only one I could find in bloom. I'm wondering what on earth happened to cause this particular violet to get so much dirt on its face.

I suspect some interaction with another Violet.

Just add one little letter to a violet's name and that violet will become violent.

9 comments:

shara said...

I love violets! How lovely!

Maria said...

I love them too.

But then, I was just thinking about the ballerina pansies and how my friend Ana says all ballerinas are smokers (her mom was one) and so I started fooling around in Photoshop again, adding cigarettes to the poor pansies' faces.......

Mental P Mama said...

*snort

Anonymous said...

Those are some wonderful whiskers! You should enter them for Whisker Wednesday, on the Cat Blogosphere:)

Barb said...

Great pictures of every kind of Violet! (Not all of them violent, though!)

Anonymous said...

I love Pansies and my favourite picture (bar the kitty which is adorable but oh my, that stare...meep!)is your shot of the white Pansy, I think that one's very pretty.

I had some jet black Pansies in my window box a few years back which I loved to bits because I thought they looked amazing. Thinking about it I'm not actually sure why I've not grown any more since!

Country Girl said...

Ha! You're such a card, you!!

Viooltje (Violet) said...

*comming out of lurkdom*
*Ü*
:o))))))))

I'm só enjoying your blog!
Thanks for all the fun I had reading, and looking at your beautyful photo's.
:o)

(I always see little cat faces in pansyflowers)
;o)

Maria said...

Tristan and Crikey-Oh my, entering a photo of Violet in a whisker beauty contest...hmmmm....as long as she doesn't smile (some missing teeth) she might be able to pull it off. ha ha ha

Barb-Oh I was going to post some photos of violet colored flowers too but nipped that idea in the.....um, bud.

Wonk-I forgot all about the black ones! They are so uniquely strange but pretty!!!! What's stopping you from getting some more? I think I might go shopping for some next weekend. So far I've been pretty good about staying away from the nurseries until we definitely have our final frost (one is expected tonight, not sure if it will be the final one though).

Kate-What Mental said in her comment.

Violet- Hey! A Violet reading about violets. What are the odds? But then....a while back I wrote about a Miss Havisham (the Charles Dickens character) and sure enough, a Miss Havisham found my blog! Anyway, welcome to my blog and thank you for announcing your de-lurking. :-)