Monday, August 3, 2009

Like those peonies haven't gone through enough with Michael Ray...

I came home to find this going on in the area where the peonies grow (but only for a couple months...Michael Ray makes sure the peonies don't last longer than that).

Michael has been busy digging a hole all day...his deepest hole yet (it's about seven inches deep so far). I think the reason he does this is to cool off or "look" for water when it gets too hot. But it's not really that hot outside, just about 90 degrees. And he has water out there for him to drink. He also has a 1/4 watermelon directly in front of him but all he wants to do is dig, dig, dig. And like I've said many times, a turtle is going to do what a turtle is compelled to do.

He's pretty driven with this particular hole. He's been at it a lonnnnnnng time. It's kind of disgusting because he's been making the mud himself for easier digging. And since it's late in the day, the mosquitos are swarming all over him. But oddly fascinating too. Take a look at "Mike Mulligan and his Steam Shovel," the turtle version.



Slow and steady...



I'm pretty sure Michael Ray's a boy but if I find any eggs there tomorrow...

...well, I'll be as surprised as when I heard tonight that my 39 year old baby brother is going to be a father. :-)

9 comments:

abb said...

Wonders never cease!

Leenie said...

That is a sllloooooow way to dig a hole. Something zen and weird about it a the same time. Sorry about the peonies.

Maria said...

TSannie-I know. I am definitely wondering. I looked up the reason for digging and apparently only the girl turtles do it....and if she's a tortoise, with her front legs. Well I am thoroughly confused now. Thoroughly.

Leenie-I knoooooooow. He was still at it at 9 tonight. I'm curious to see what the crater looks like tomorrow morning.

Mental P Mama said...

Well, he has always marched to the beat of his/her? own drum;)

Linda said...

I love the days you post about the turtles and this one was no exception. Fascinating. Keep us informed about this exciting adventure.

Maria said...

Mental-You sure have Michael figured out. I just went out to look at the hole he dug yesterday (his legs must be so sore!!!!). It rained last night so that hole is now full of water. I'll wait for the mud to dry a bit before I sift around for evidence of eggs. The rain also uncovered a hole he dug a couple weeks ago but that one wasn't that deep. I don't know what is going on with him...her....oh I know he's a him, I just don't know what he's up to.

Linda-Just when you think you have your 16-17 year old tortoises figured out, they start on another one of their mysteries. Oh definitely, I'll keep everyone informed of my possible transsexual turtle. Gawd.

The Vintage Vignette said...

I don't know...sounds like Michael might be a Michelle to me :)

ChicagoGrrrl said...

Congratulations on becoming an Aunt. Is this your first niece or nephew? Maybe your new property will provide lovely birthday party grounds!

Maria said...

VV-I still don't think he's a Michelle. I think he was digging a hole to catch water since it did rain a lot overnight. I just read that tortoises can do that but didn't know Michael had that much smarts in him.

Amy-I have two smartypants nephews in college and one niece who is....2 months old so this new baby will be number four. Thanks for asking. :-)