Sunday, September 7, 2008

1920s/1930s playing cards



The Oct/Nov 2008 issue of "Mary Engelbreit's Home Companion" has a feature on playing cards from the early 20th century. I have a small collection and always wondered why they were so darn tiny (they measure about 2 by 3.5 inches). Apparently little girls collected them and put them in scrapbooks...which also explains some of the imagery and/or themes. I always wondered why  adult women were so taken with nursery rhymes. :-) I got this group at an antique store in Independence, MO years ago. There were thousands of these things. All different. All wonderful. I just love the designs from that time.

I'm going to start a new category label because I collect a lot of ephemera, although Cathy J says I really should call it "ephemaria."

1 comment:

Q said...

Dear Maria,
These are darling! I was an antique dealer for a number of years. I may have some of these someplace....I will look for them and send them on to you if I find any.
This winter I need to clean out my house (again) now that I know you collect stuff I could have some treasures to share! Always happy to find good homes for items.
Sherry