Monday, May 11, 2009

Driving in the country

On Saturday, Meg and I went driving around eastern Kansas to look at land, just for the fun of it. Meg says this is a Sears-Roebuck house. I looked it up and I think it might be the Chelsea house plan but I'm not sure. Behind and around the house were signs alerting the public that a development would be built there soon. :-/

We drove past the schoolhouse I looked at last year. It looked small to me this time around.

Because once you start looking at land for fun, why not look at 70 acres up for auction? Can you imagine this as your backyard? As far as you can see, all yours.

We drove past a farm that had one of  everything. A goat, a llama, a donkey, a cow, a dog...

...and one loose goose.

She had just laid an egg and she was PROUD. We were asked if we wanted some of the eggs but we said no and kept driving. Meg said that yard was like seeing half of Noah's ark.

And so we continued driving.....for hours. 

There were spots that were absolutely gorgeous (and for sale)...

...and then there were those unique country inventions you don't see in the city...well, not that often...

Meg said that you're supposed to wave to everyone you see in the country and when we did, people really did wave back. We saw cats walking single file across paved roads, dogs walking side by side on paved roads, I think we even saw a toddler and his dog playing on a paved road! Things were extraordinarily relaxed and...green. Green was everywhere. And all that green was mowed. We timed our adventure on the perfect weekend and I wish I could have had my parrot Eddie in the backseat to join in our conversation. All we could say for the four hours of driving was "pretty." I have never said that word so much in my life. 

We ended the day at the Dairy Queen and we realized both of us were OLD because dang, it was hard to straighten up after all that driving in the countryside of prettiness.

9 comments:

Mental P Mama said...

Beautiful! I think 70 acres may just work for your back yard;)

Maureen said...

It's very green in NYC now that it's stopped raining too. Lots of Canadian geese around, saw one on the river with some downy goslings following single file, but no goats as far as I know.

abb said...

What beautiful countryside you saw.

Country Girl said...

Love it! Love it!
I enjoy just driving around and looking at the scenery.

Viooltje (Violet) said...

Thanks for the lovely trip!
:o)

Maria said...

Kate-It was fun and it made us laugh at some of the silly things we saw... such as a clothesline with nothing hanging from it but jeans, starting with the biggest jeans all the way down to the baby jeans.

Violet- Have you done any roadtrips on your blog? Things must be gorgeous this time of year.

Barb said...

You'd have plenty of room for your critters on 70 green acres!

45+ and Aspiring said...

Thanks for taking me along. I left an award for you on my blog.

olivia said...

What a WONDERFUL idea ... thanks for taking us along w/ you! I really enjoyed that ... :)