Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Back to the city...

...where you can also find some wild things, like this voodoo lily. 

The voodoo lily bulbs usually bloom in my basement in February or March but for some reason didn't get around to it this year until late April and May. They're the oddest things to see bloom. You don't plant them. You just let the bulbs sit on a table or windowsill and over a period of a week or so, watch the "flower" develop and then open. You could do that, and I have done that...once. The thing is, when the "flower" is fully open, it smells like rotting meat (but just for a day). That's why I leave them in the basement until it's time to plant them outdoors.

Once the bloom dies down and the bulb is planted, one huge frond of leaves spirals out from a spotted green stalk. I usually have two whiskey barrels full of them. Definitely an interesting thing in the garden.

And this little picture-winged fly who was was in the area, seems to be the perfect companion for the voodoo lily. He's got that look of the extra weird to him too.

8 comments:

45+ and Aspiring said...

Interesting and beautiful. I've never seen one of these before (or thankfully smelled one!)

Country Girl said...

That voodoo lily is so cool! Leave it to you to have the coolest stuff in the garden!

Mental P Mama said...

Now I want a voodoo lily.

Anonymous said...

I'm thinking this might be related to the giant Titan Arum.

These recently made the news over here as Kew Gardens (big botanical place we have) had 2 of these things flower at the same time which meant they could cross pollinate. Imagine the poor guy who got that job, eww!

Article about it in The Daily Mail if you're interested.

Anonymous said...

Oh actually, hmmm - my bad. That Daily Mail article isn't dated, and it refers to the pollination being done from a specimen from America. I guess that's an old one, who'd have thunk there'd be so many articles about giant smelly flowers, LOL.

Here's the double flowering article from Kew Gardens themselves.

Maria said...

Hey Wonk-I remember hearing about that giant stinky arum blooming years ago. Yes, the voodoos are in the same family but their peculiar scent only goes on for about a day. And they are SO much smaller. Oh that's a weird job that man has, having to pollinate such a big stinky plant.

45-Offer still stands. If you want some voodoos to grow, I can send them to you. Kate and Lauren-you can have some too if you want. They're done flowering. All they need is to be put in a pot or the ground and let their big frond come up. Wonk, I don't know about sending vegetation to the UK, otherwise I'd send you some too. :-/ Guys- just email me if you want some.

Anonymous said...

Bah, typo's annoy me so much I have to delete them, LOL.

As I said before minus fat fingered typing...

Aww, you're so sweet. Fairly sure the Dept of Agriculture would get their panties in a wad about it sadly.

I do really appreciate the thought though :)

Maria said...

Wonk-ha ha ha. I hate those typos too and I would have done the exact same thing. :-)

I'm sorry I can't send you the voodoos. The ones I planted are just now putting up their "fronds" and in a week or so I'll have some neat palm/fern things supported on their spotted green stalks. They're really odd things but they make for a compelling feature in the garden.

I should have said nothing about their one day stink. No takers yet. :-)