Sunday, November 13, 2011

Sunday and starlings

I was waiting at a stoplight recently and had the chance to watch a ball of starlings fly through the sky, bouncing in all directions but never touching the ground. A crow was in the air too and that ball of birds decided to bounce toward that crow, and just when they were about to encircle it, they quickly flew off in a completely different direction but then....they turned around to head off that crow....almost. Starlings are such little stinkers. They're too smart and they're too fast for anyone to figure out what they're doing or where they're going to be next. Another time when I was driving, a ball of starlings (or "murmuration" if you want to be poetic) was above my car flying in the same direction, using the same route. They whooshed over me and then scattered in the distance. It all happened so fast but for a few seconds there I felt like I was part of the flock. It was thrilling. Nothing as thrilling as this little video though. Nothing. They're such astonishing little creatures.

5 comments:

Leenie said...

My internet connection is being ornery right now so I can't see the video. But I did want to comment on how I'm always amazed at the flight of a flock of birds. How do they navigate together? How?

Leenie said...

Came back--saw the video--WOW!!!

Maria said...

Leenie- I KNOW! I was just now going to come over and let you know that maybe it isn't your connection but that the little video starts with some still shots. Glad you were able to finally watch it. Aren't those birds incredible...as well as those two silly girls? :-)

Pix at Under the Oaks said...

Very very very cool Maria. Amazing really and beautiful too :) And the one girl that seems totally astonished by the "murmuration", I am in love with that word...the one girl at the end with the funny hat-I'd love to know her :) Don't ya think she'd make us laugh lots?! Thank you for posting this, I will be back to show it to Mr. Pix. Arnie the Darling Starling, gotta love that book :)

Maria said...

PIx-I've watched that video way too many times and every time it is amazing. I love all the fun those birds are having and the fun those silly girls with stupid hats are having too. :-) In the meantime, I have one starling flying around in the house this minute and she is just as speedy as those guys flying in uncontained formation in Ireland.