Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Fall

I don't know why but when the surprise lilies bloom, I always think of fall.....even though it's been two months since they've bloomed and gone underground again.

I think of fall when the jack in the pulpit berries become vivid red...

...and even when they're still green because the green ones fall over too.

I think of fall when dogs get covered with seeds...

...and when the soldier beetles get busy with each other on the goldenrod flowers.

But fall happens when the leaves fall...

In just a few weeks, this...

becomes this....

And things just start looking and sounding extra crispy.

But not everything is on the ground or under ground. Those turtle chomped thimbleweeds from last month have sent up new leaves!

And that gives me hope because I have a lot of plants to still get in and knowing that it's now a little too cold for turtles to take things down...

I only have to worry about the garden helping dogs falling down on the newly planted plants. That digging part of gardening is exhausting, you know?

3 comments:

Pix at Under the Oaks said...

Good Evening Maria! Brrrrr. It gets cold in Fall. I don't want Fall to go away and I don't want the leaves to fall off the trees! I walk a path that Mr. Pix cleared for me so that I can do my heart healthy walks and there is a bunch of goldenrod on either side of the path. Those soldier beetles are very, very busy! We have two turtles that hang in our yard and CH always reports seeing them. But we haven't seem them for a couple of weeks. I had no idea how much chomping they could do. Hope all is well up your way!

Leenie said...

Hooray the thimbleweed survived the pruning. You have so much help with your gardening! Guess we have to accept the fact that summer 2011 is over. Bah!

Maria said...

Pix-It IS Brrrrrrr right now. First freeze is tonight or tomorrow. :-/ Yes. Turtles chomp and stomp. They're very good at that. Sorry I've neglected the blog for so long but I've been busy at work on two big projects which hopefully will be done in two weeks. You already know about "blog fatigue" but I think it's more frustrating when you want to blog but you have an entirely separate fatigue! Errrrgh. Anyway, hope things are going good with you too and hurray for Mr. Pix for clearing a path for you. All my paths are becoming obstacle courses with the fallen trees. :-P

Leenie-Yes. That was SOME pruning job that turtle did. There were plenty of wild thimbleweeds growing all over but that turtle just chomped on the ones that cost money. How do they know? And regarding the end of summer 2011, I don't care if it is in the 30s out there, I'm not covering my toes with serious shoes until......I guess until it snows.