Sunday, February 21, 2010

Snow...and then no snow...

This has been going on for weeks. It kind of snows. Then it doesn't. Yesterday I watched the snow fall and it looked like a Christmas card....until you looked at the ground. Nothing but clear roads and green lawns. On Friday there was an hour of snow that must have been spectacular because some of the descriptions I heard was that the snow looked like falling white caterpillars and at another time during the hour, looking like white veils of curtains. I finally got to a window and saw.....rain. When it snowed this morning, you could hear it fall because it was coming down in ice pellets. But then it turned to real snow, great big pretty flakes of snow. Finally enough white to cover the ground. The outdoor starlings that usually give me a good staredown from the window in my back door moved to perch on the greenhouse window where my computer is and where I usually am. They were facing the wrong direction but I got the message. Time to open that coontina.

When I got outside, once again the yard was transformed. There's that snow again. The whiteness of it always brings out the pretty striations of my elm tree. I'm going to miss that elm when I move away from this house one of these days.

It's pretty every single time I see it, that fresh snow, even if it's just an inch. If I can't get sunshine from the sky, at least I can get brightness from the ground.

5 comments:

Leenie said...

Just remember no matter how pretty it is--it goes away faster when it isn't deep. So when you get that desire to see actual green leaves it's nice not to have to wait until May or June. BTW where to the turtles spend the winter? Hope Stella is getting the slivers out of her tongue from that furniture meal.

Maria said...

Leenie-My sister lived in Colorado and would get so darn frustrated to see daffodils come up in...I don't know, June, July or August? Yeah, when you want that Missouri snow to go away, it does go away fast. It's just this constant 1 inch of snow always falling in its various forms...rain and sleet and ice pellets and then maybe some real snow. No hail yet but that season is coming.

The turts are under their heat lights in the basement. They're restless for spring too.

You made me laugh out loud with the slivers in Stella's tongue comment. Oh she's so baaaaaad.

Rural Rambler said...

We have had rain. Then we had some more....rain. And then we got some rain. Then...rain. Now we have a pond in our front yard where we used to sit and have wine time. It better be outta here when I'm ready to put my city turned country self out there for a glass of Missouri Sweet Wine. When you move to the country, has a nice feeling huh Maria?!

Maria said...

Pix...I am so looking forward to that. Sigh. Actually, I'm looking forward to just being able to sit out!!! It's back down to zero tonight which means you'll be getting the cold weather too...if it's not there already.

Mental P Mama said...

I am a bit late...but I love the bright ground, too!