Monday, May 25, 2009

Trying to stay civilized

My roses are blooming. My neighbor's peonies are blooming. 

I would have peonies in bloom too if these two had not stomped on them so much last year. I'm just happy to have the poor plants make one more unexpected reappearance this year. I don't think I'll ever see flowers on them again because of the you know who two...

But I have a lot of roses.

A lot. I forgot I even had this one.

And my jasmine tree is blooming, blooming, blooming. You can tell how toxic-ly sweet the scent is just by looking at the waxiness of the flowers. The jasmine scent is so thick, it escapes the backyard.

But as nice as it is to be surrounded by all this civilized and cultivated beauty, I missed the country. So I was off....

Everything starts to get bigger once you leave the city. Like the sky...

...and the clouds...

...and the spiders!

Good grief. This was an enormous spider. I had never seen a wolf spider before. But as big and wild as he was, he was still civilized enough to let me take a few pictures of him.

And I did miss hanging out with my new civilized country friend who enjoys roaming the countryside and discovering new things and people and animals and insects as much as I do. 

It's just too hard to stay away when you're so smitten.

7 comments:

Barb said...

Is that Cathy Jean smiling as she stomps the peonies? Send some Jasmine scent to me - not the Wolf Spiders though - I have plenty!

Anonymous said...

LOL, seriously - we have absolutely nothing in the same league as your spiders. He looks huge!

Lovely flower pics as always, and looks like you're really enjoying your weekend romps into the countryside :)

Maria said...

Barb-Cathy Jean is on the left. She'd be a good turtle if it wasn't for the influence of her brother.

That wolf spider was something else. I had heard of them before but had never seen one. They are tarantula HUGE. I'm just happy he kept to his business of getting across the trail.

Wonk-He IS huge. I'd imagine something like that in the tropics, not on the prairie!

Yeah, I am having fun out there. Always new plants and animals and insects and reptiles and amphibians and other things to discover. We saw one bird flying across some open space that had the markings of a penguin. Um, turned out to be a rose-breasted grosbeak...not a flying prairie penguin. Ha ha ha. It certainly had us puzzled.

Country Girl said...

Your garden flowers are gorgeous, Maria. But that spider, ew! You don't ever want to be bit by one of them. They do nasty things to your body. Ok. I need to get over the spider . . .
Gorgeous clouds. And doggie!

Anonymous said...

What did Violet have to say about that woofie smell on you?

Mental P Mama said...

That spider gives me the heebie jeebies. The rest is just delightful...as always;)

Maria said...

Kate-Oh I was careful but too fascinated to step completely away. And aren't those clouds wonderful? They've been like that for days.

Tristan and Crikey-I think Violet's sniffer stopped working years ago because I run into too many animals. I think as long as I don't bring them home, she's good.

Mental-Aw, thanks. And sorry about the spider. Didn't mean to have it suddenly pop up like that. I think I'd feel differently if there was a family of them living in the house. Eeeeee! That thought gave me the heebie jeebies.