Sunday, March 8, 2009

Looking for spring, anywhere we can find it...


Yesterday when I went to get my hair cut I saw two star magnolias starting to bloom, one daffodil in bloom and several yellow and purple clumps of crocuses. Finally, real evidence that spring is on its way! 

In my own backyard, a few vinca flowers (muddy from last night's rain)...

Some buds on the crabapple...

The start of a tree peony flower...

And some small promises that I might have peony shrubs for one more year. But just for a short while because you know who will be taking them down a few months from now.

We're starting to see a little green in the landscape. Well, I'm seeing it, it's hard to tell what Violet looks at because she does everything possible to avoid the camera.

Just one week ago, this was the backyard...

And next week it is supposed to snow again. Looks like spring is coming in on a pogo stick this year (like always, but at least there's finally proof that it's touching down in parts).

9 comments:

Barb said...

Loved all the photos but the one of Violet's cat eyes was my favorite. I'm in Denver, Co, today - it's 65 degrees and feels like spring.

Maria said...

Violet was SO resistant to getting her picture taken today. The only reason I have that photo is because I bent over and took her picture upside-down. Ha! Totally surprised her. Kind of explains the last shot because she was so fed up with me taking her picture that she stood up behind me and started "boxing" the back of my leg. Insects are so much more cooperative. I'm looking forward to chasing them down again this summer. :-)

Hurray for 60+ degree weather!!!!!

Country Girl said...

Ha! Laughing at that last photo, Maria!
I found snowdrops in the yard today. And I have some daffodils coming up. The buds are beginning to appear on the lilac tree, too. It was beautiful here today. I had a couple of windows open.
And tonight, the heat is off again.

45+ and Aspiring said...

That picture of the peony bud is amazingly cool.

I loved the older post with that bad bad Michael Ray (I love, love, love red shamrocks.. . felt that kindred spirit bond seeing all your pots of them!)

The pogo analogy was perfect. We had snow on our daffodils 2 weekends back, but they are actually looking pretty good despite it.

Deedee said...

Wow, I had no idea that turtles would wreck a garden. Do they eat the plants or just dig them up?

Mental P Mama said...

I love it! Spring is definitely coming in on a pogo stick;) I bet you know who cannot wait to get out!

Maria said...

Kate-Hurray for spring! I'm glad it's finally happening out east too!!

45-Thanks for the critique, as always. Ha ha ha. I adore purple shamrocks. I have PLENTY so if you ever need more, let me know and I can mail you some. Still can't believe the Atlanta snowfall.

DeeDee-you're new to this whole turtle thing, aren't ya? Let me tell you, they're bad. BAD. And they get worse every year. They don't eat the plants and they don't dig up the plants, they just stomp all over them until the plants disappear. Usually takes them about 45 minutes to take down a shrub.

Mental-Yes. They can't wait. There is an ever present scraping I hear when I'm home because they're trying to hoist themselves over the sides of their tanks. Errrrgh.

Unknown said...

Oh I love your pictures. You have a lot of creatures!

Maria said...

Spruce Hill-Yes I do. I have a lot of creatures. Just last night I was talking about how I wanted a burro, a llama and a peacock. Gawd. At least all my current animals fit in the car, which for some reason doesn't make the current animal situation seem that bad. :-)