Tuesday, July 22, 2008

The Car Garden


Last Saturday Meg, Sarah and baby Rex helped me look at an old 1902 schoolhouse that was for sale in Linwood, Kansas. I'll write more about that later since I'm still sad (but relieved) that the property was sold (right after we looked at it!). One of the things I still think about is the car park/garden on the neighboring property. I was convinced that it was a meth lab infested trailer park based on what I could see on the Google satellite view.  But no, it turned out to be sort of a garden or park of several old cars and a firetruck from the 1950s on 1 1/2 acres of mowed and maintained grass. Just the oddest, oddest thing. There are lots of piles of abandoned cars and trucks in Linwood but this is the first carefully arranged collection of abandoned cars I had seen. I would have liked to have bought the schoolhouse just so that I could sit and look at what was in front of me and just contemplate the weirdness of it all for hours.  And hours. Really, it was odd. Loved it.

No comments: